Monday, July 5, 2010

Moving In

Christopher:

Using my suitcase as a battering ram I knock open the door to our suite. “Hey guys. I’m here, the party can official start.”
Paul, Aaron, Vince, Doug, and Simon are all hanging around the lounge. “Chris,” they shout at my entrance.
“Welcome back man,” Doug says clapping me on the back in a quick hug.
“Which room’s mine?”
“That one,” Vince points toward the only bare door. The rest all have band posters, name tags, and other signs on them. “What did you bring to put on yours?”
I reach over my shoulder and tap the rolled up poster sticking out of my backpack. Vince pulls it out and unrolls it.
“Of course,” he laughs and then turns it around to show the guys. They all laugh too. “So who is it?”
“It’s Ronaldo.”
“Oh and look,” Paul takes the poster from Vince and points at the jersey, “he’s number seven too.” More laughing.
“Yeah yeah yeah,” I snatch the poster back, careful not to rip it. “Whatever, why don’t you guys go have band practice or something. Practice your covers since you can’t write any of your own songs.”
“Ooohh! We struck a nerve.” Simon steps forward and takes the suitcase out of my hands. “Here I’ll set this in your room.” He holds out his other hand and I swing the backpack off and hand it to him. “You got more stuff in the car?”
“Yeah.”
Vince and Doug grab either arm of mine and turn me toward the door. “Well let’s get it then.” I drop the poster and lead them out the door yelling over my shoulder to Simon, “keys are in the side pocket of the backpack.”

Jason:

It only took me one trip to get all of my things from Mr. Bell’s car to my room. I carried the two totes of clothes and my bag of books with my laptop in it. He carried my small box of food and CD’s.
“Thanks for the ride Mr. Bell, it means a lot.” I hold out my hand to him.
“Any time Jason. You just let us know if there’s anything you need.” He shakes my hand. “I mean it,” he gives me a knowing look. I hate asking Kelsey’s family for things. I hate having to ask anyone for something. “I almost forgot,” he reaches into his pocket. “Here’s a house warming present.”
Carefully I take the small square package from him. “You guys really shouldn’t have,” a small smile touches my face, “but thank you.”
He nods, “look after yourself.” With that Mr. Bell turns and walks out the door.
Going back to my desk I plop down in the chair and open the little package. Inside is a white gold pocket watch with the initials JB on it. Without realizing it a tear rolls down my cheek and splashes onto my thumb.

Shawn:

I lumber down the hallway looking for room 246.
“Here it is honey,” my mom calls from two doors up.
“Coming,” I shout from behind the three big boxes stacked one on top of the other that I’m carrying. “Here?” I ask.
“Yes here. The door is open.”
I set the boxes down just inside the door and then stand to survey the room. My mom is standing in front of the bed on the right side of the room already unfolding sheets to put on it. The middle of the room is occupied by two desks back to back, forming a kind of half wall between each side of the room. At the foot of my bed is a large wardrobe and at the end of my desk is a square three drawer dresser. The other side is set up the same but has decorations and two people standing on it.
“Hey, I’m Arthur.” Arthur gestures next to himself, “this is my mom.”
“Hi, I’m Shawn, and this is my mom.” My mom looks over from the bed and waves. Out of the corner of my eye I see a large shape on the wall between the two windows. When I turn my head to get a good look at it my mouth drops slightly. Catching the look on my face my mom follows my gaze to the giant bronze cross with Jesus on it that is hanging on the wall. Quickly I shut my mouth and try to look calm and unconcerned.
“Well sweetie I have to be going. It’s a long drive back home.” Arthur’s mom hugs him and then comes around the desks to shake my mom’s hand. “It was nice to meet you both,” she turns to shake mine and then steps passed me through the door.
“Shawn I should be going to. Why don’t you come get the last things from the car?”
“Yeah sure.” With difficulty I pull my eyes away from the cross and follow my mom out the door.
Back at the car I throw my backpack over my shoulders and reach to pick up the last box out of the trunk. “Are going to be ok.”
“I don’t know.”
“Well some Christians are ok with it you know. Maybe he will be.”
“Yeah maybe. I guess we’ll find out.”
Mom gives me an awkward hug around the box and kisses my cheek. “I love you Shawn. You just be you and everything will work itself out. Call me if you need to talk.”
“I will. Love you too.”

Danielle:

I wave after our car as my parents drive off down Faculty Road. Within about half a second a van pulls into their spot blocking my view. A girl with brown softly curled hair slides open the side door and climbs out from amongst the packed in boxes. As she steps out from the shadow of the van the sun lights up her hair giving it a red hue.
“Hey,” she says awkwardly.
I realize I’m in the way and back up from their van. “Hi. I’m Danielle. Um,” I shove my hands in my pockets, “can I help?”
She tilts her head like it was a strange question, “sure I guess.” She gives me a small smile. “Um, which one is Gilbert?”

Matilda:

Tami, Sandy, and I are standing outside Crosby on the path between Wilson and the end of Faculty Road.
“Look at all the freshmen,” Sandy points at one nerdy looking boy with big glasses and a printer box that keeps slipping out of his grasp, “haha, he can’t even hold it.”
“Well I’m bored already,” I turn to leave knowing they’ll both follow, “let’s go.”
“What are we gonna do?” Sandy bounces after Tami and I.
“Harry Potter marathon?” Tami asks with that sarcastic tone that only I can pick up on.
Sandy starts to skip ahead of us, “oh yeah let’s do that.”
“She was kidding Sandy,” she stops skipping and drops her chin to her chest. I slide my ID through the reader and then open the back door to Crosby. “What are we going to do?”

No comments:

Post a Comment